INFORMATION AND COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY UNIT
Information Technology is one of the resources utilized by the Agency to accomplish its objective and mission statement. IT objectives directly relate to the strategic objective of the agency and its Directorates/units and complement the Agency mission and aims.
The Unit, under the direct supervision of the DG/CEO’s office is responsible for the formulation, design & development and maintenance of IT-related technologies and services. It provides secure and reliable IT standards and structure to meet responsible unit demands while serving the best interests of the entire agency and the nation at large.
To stand tall in Information and Communication Technology.
- Standards and Architectures: Develop and share IT standards and architectures as well as solutions and services with the Agency communities nation-wide, to allow their systems to effectively interact with central systems and perform their function more effectively.
- Enterprise Solution Development: Deliver and support approved enterprise IT solutions and services that meet the requirements of WMO (World Meteorological Organization) but are broadly applicable to the agency and other organizations as possible, for effective service delivery.
- Enterprise Security: Develop and administer an enterprise IT security policy and supporting procedures that adequately protects the information resources of the agency, consistent with governing regulations, administrative directives and the expectations of the agency’s international affiliates.
- Network Communication and Collaboration: Develop and deploy a set of collaboration tools and systems that enhances the ability of all our offices ranging from synoptic offices, airport/forecast offices, agro-meteorological offices, climatological offices, and rainfall stations to communicate and collaborate within and outside the Agency.
- Human Capacity Development: Administer the training and re-training of its staff and the agency’s staff on various IT professional skills that would have a direct impact on the overall service delivery of the unit and the agency with a positive performance indicator in place.
- This unit facilitates the migration of all our operations ranging from convectional routine meteorological practices to modern day IT driven operations adopting the best IT solutions.
- The unit, through a drafted IT policy will assist the Agency in attaining an IT height in terms of service delivery, which would aid revenue generation through IT technologies and solutions.
- The unit is equally saddled with the responsibility of playing a major role in automation and computerization and other operations of the agency ranging from Administration, Accounting and Budgeting function using the best technology and solution in terms of automated control and Audit tools through IT driven control and audit practices.
- Provision of advisory role to the management on procurement and provision of IT related products and consumables to guide against sub-standard products.
- Design, Develop and manage a Business continuity and Disaster (BCD) recovery plan of action for all our IT related technologies and services, driving our major operation of providing real-time meteorological and allied services to the nation and indeed the world in all areas covering human lives and property.
- Design and Develop IT performance indices to measure the growth the Agency has attained in investing into IT related projects, where IT governance practices determining the alignment of IT with the objective of the organization.
- Provide a routine strategic and long term maintenance plan for the Agency’s IT related and allied technologies and solutions driving the organization’s operations nation-wide.
- Maintenance of the Internet infrastructure of the Agency vis-à-vis computers systems IP (Internet Protocol) Address allocation, monitoring and reconfiguration.
- Re-installation and Re-configuration of Meteorological software solutions with all its hardware components.
- Troubleshooting of the LAN (Local Area Network) and wireless network IT component structure of the Agency’s offices nationwide.
- Design, Develop and manage an object Relational database Management System (RDBMS) for the sustainability of the information resources of the Agency.
- Design a Data Warehousing and Data Mining structure for the Agency’s climatologically repository.
- Administer the software and hardware component part of Meteorological coding format called the Table Driven Code Format (TDCF), of the nations Meteorological Data Transmission needs to the international community as prescribed by the World Meteorological Organization.